Tuesday 6 January 2015

The Unexpected Expectation.

'Crap, not this question.' I said to myself with a tone of discouragement. I was attending my Second preparatory examination of class 10. It was the Physical Education (P.E) subject which was all about sports. Apart from that, it had portions dealing with fitness, nutrition and diseases and that was were I struggled. 
That question made me go mad. I had to attempt it as I had no idea about the rest. My friend had told something, but I couldn't remember what. It was on the left page in the textbook. Words written in black against a light grey background. I had folded that page in order to glance over at the last moment. I remember every detail, except,what was written. This is what happens all the time and I hate it.

Suchita was sitting at my left and Rayyan to my right. I turned here and there. Rayyan seemed clueless, the entire time. Our chairs weren't that far but I couldn't see anything written. I had showed my answers and helped some, but never had I asked for help. The reason was that I was too afraid by the thought of getting caught and secondly, I didn't actually know how to copy. It isn't that easy with a strict invigilator around who is in search of that one prey. I had to get out of it. I needed that mark and had no other option. I turned to my left in hope that Suchi might know the answer. I somehow grabbed her attention. I didn't mutter anything, just turned my paper and tried to show her the question by pointing my pen at it. I looked up and man! That moment. The invigilator had been observing me the whole time. It was that one moment when I froze completely. Chills ran down my spine. I was scared to death. I was still in that position. He shouted from the other end of the class,"You! Stop there." I was hoping that he had shouted at Rayyan. Actually, everyone in the class thought the same. Even he thought it was for him and he was stunned, preparing himself to answer. 
The invigilator was none other than our beloved Vice Principal, Mr.Johnson (We called him V.P back then). He was my favorite for two reasons; firstly, he taught English (most loved subject of mine) and secondly, I loved the way he expressed the stories. He walked past the students to our side. To everybody's astonishment he didn't stop at Rayyan's table; he stopped at mine. 

We were all sitting in those chairs where you have a wooden plank attached to write over. He leaned and held the chair with both his hands. "Did you copy?" he asked without much of emotion in his voice. He didn't sound angry neither was he calm. "I'm asking you again. Did you copy?"
"N....No sir."
"Don't lie. I'm asking you again. Tell me the truth or else I won't let you write."
"No sir. I didn't."
"Get up. You are not writing the exam any further."
"Sir, but I.."
"Shut up. I saw you copying."
"No sir, I didn't. I just asked her but she didn't show anything. You can ask her sir." (what a stupid line. I was such an idiot back then.)
"I do not want to ask anything to anyone. I don't want to know if she showed. Just answer in yes or no."
"I tried to."
"That's it. Don't do it again."
"O..Ok sir."
He went back straight to the right most corner of the class. I simply scribbled and tried not to look at him. Whole of the class had heard the conversation. I felt so embarrassed and stunned at the same time, that I... Thaseen had just been caught while copying. Everyone had this concept of me being the 'good, silent shy' girl and after this I was sure my image had gone deep down. Everyone would call me a copycat (that's what we call the one who copied, right). I couldn't concentrate on what I was writing. I just managed not to cry. Thankfully, exam ended in another fifteen minutes. 

I was an above average student but after this I felt no less than the failures. I couldn't even copy properly (What a shame!). My friends swarmed up at me to know what exactly happened. I was about to narrate it to them when a guy told me that V.P wants to see me in his cabin. 'Dead' that's what I murmured on hearing his words. 
His cabin was in the other block. Never in my entire school life had any teacher had a complaint against me. I was not the first benchers type but I was surely the one who completed home works and projects on time. I shivered with every step I took. He was probably going to complaint about it to the principal or worse, my parents. 
'What am I going to say? Should I even say anything? Oh god! Please help me.' I was really nervous. Another turn to the left and I'm there. I took a deep breathe,"Whatever it is, be confident. Don't talk much, just listen and try not to make a scene."
I went near the door. He was sitting in his chair with his specs on. "Excuse me sir."
"Come in." I went in and stood few inches away from the table. He removed his glasses and looked at me as if expecting a apology. I wondered if I should say something or wait for him to start. I finally broke the silence,"I... I'm sorry sir."
"Are you really sorry for what you did." 
I was shocked by that. I didn't know if I was genuinely sorry. I did feel a bit guilty but some part of me said it wasn't wrong. 
"I didn't copy sir. She didn't even show me." I couldn't say anything better.
"Look, it isn't about copying. It is about what you wanted to do. This is not the right way. You might pass by doing that, but you'll never be content."
'Content? Of course I will be content. After all, passing is all that matters.' I thought but didn't say. 
"You being such a good student tried to copy, how shameful is that. In life, we have lot of things to take care of. But it is up to us, how we deal with it. I am not saying that you are the only one who did this, but I'm surprised that you attempted such a thing. I thought you to be a nice girl. Expected so much from you Thaseen."
I almost had tears. Somewhere I had a lot of respect for him as a person and he was one of those from whom I was inspired. He, telling me all this was unexpected. He was calm and had a sense if soothingness in his voice.
" I catch a lot of students copying and I don't call everyone to my cabin. I know what you are and your capabilities I know you are a good girl. But remember, to become something good, takes decades, whereas, only a minute is enough to destroy it all." 
I was among those who never raised their hands in the class, even though, they knew the answer. I was never in the limelight. And this person had so much of hopes from me. Knowing the fact that you broke somebody's trust was worst. 
"Yes. Sir. I'm sorry i would never do that again." My voice was heavy as my throat was full now. I had tears but tried as much as possible to not break down. 
"I expect that from you."
"I'm sorry." I repeated again. 
"You may leave now." I gave a slight nod and left. I walked slowly down the corridor and looked out through the window. I couldn't sum up all that he said to me. Until now, I never knew that he thought like that about me. I don't know if all that he said was genuine or if he said that just to make me realize my mistakes. But, that one moment made me realize that I wasn't just anybody. I had a life which expected something good. I can't do it all just because somebody else is doing. I cried and instantly wiped it all. I didn't want to tell about that to anyone. I returned to the class and tried to act normal. Some of my friends inquired but I shooed the topic.

After that incident, V.P used to call me by the word 'copy'. Yes, I got a nickname. Only he called me that way (every time). It became more like a funny incident.

Someday I would want to meet him again. May be he forgot my name. But I'm sure, he would recognize me as the girl who copied. 
He was one of the best teachers Green Valley had. One of the finest. And I'm glad that he knew the true me and told me all those things. I still remember his classes. Especially, the narration of he story 'The Monkey's Paw'. It was splendid. 
If by any chance you are reading this Sir, I would want to thank you for those fifteen minutes of guidance. It meant a lot. :)

#V.P  #G.V.N.S  #2010-11 batch
#Copy  #TG
#StyZie


No comments:

Post a Comment