Monday 26 January 2015

Imagination #9 ~The fall~

‘Just be calm’ I said to myself. ‘Don’t think much. It’s going to be alright. Calm. Calm.’ I took long breaths in between. ‘C’mon girl, it’s okay.’ I was tensed. Nervousness, anxiety, agitation, excitement; all these emotions rushed through me at once. I had to do it. I couldn’t retreat, it was too late. I started tapping my foot. He placed his hand over mine and tried to make it still. I gazed at him. He smiled as though trying to detach the fear out of me. ‘I think we shouldn’t do this. Let’s recede.’ I sniffled. ‘Naina, don’t hesitate now. This is a lifetime opportunity. Let’s face it.’ He insisted and hugged me. ‘But, Aman…’ ‘I’ll be by your side all the time.’ ‘We’ll go there together?’ It sounded more like a statement than question. He didn’t say anything but gave an assuring nod.

‘We have reached the terminus, sir.’ The captain announced. We had our suits on. Aman rechecked our attachments. The attendant gave us a final sign. Thankfully, he agreed for our simultaneous jump. That gave me a sense of relief but the fact that, we still had to it spread terror all over me. We went close to the door of the aircraft which was now at a height of almost ten thousand feet from the ground. I couldn’t stand straight atop a six-foot wall and was going to have the fall for life. I gripped Aman’s hand as tight as I could. ‘Ready?’ He asked with great enthusiasm. ‘Yup!’ I replied in a tone of excitement filled with fear. I shut my eyes and uttered god’s name. The instructor gave us the final count. I tightened my goggles and glanced at Aman, for one last time. ‘Three…Two…One’ and Aman pulled me along as he jumped. All my senses were dead for a moment. It seemed like I couldn’t breathe. The wind made me feel forced; like it took me away with it. I wasn’t able to open my eyes. Aman was still holding my hand. He took hold of both my hands. We were now in the belly-to-earth orientation.

It was all like a dream. I was literally in the middle of the sky. My hands were still shivering. I was so lost in the newly discovered land, that I didn’t know when Aman let go of me. I looked down and all I could see was the color green. I controlled my speed and direction as I pulled open the parachute. I identified the huge sign where I had to land.

My feet hit the ground and I tried to stop myself. I saw Aman at a distance, running towards me. I had tears in my eyes and I fell on my knees. Aman hugged me. ‘We made it Naina. We made it!’ he shouted trying to bring me back to my senses. I was laughing and still had tears. He wiped them and hugged me again tighter this time.
I don’t know if the fear of heights was overtaken, but that was the moment which would always reside in my memory. I had never felt that lively before.  


#StyZie


No comments:

Post a Comment