Saturday 25 July 2015

Imagination #15 ~The Call~

“… and then she broke her heel and tumbled over. Her expression was hilarious.” Simran said all at once and burst out laughing. We all joined her. “Guys guys, ssshhh… Is anybody playing a song?” said another friend. I tried controlling my laugh to figure out the melody. The tune seemed familiar. “I have heard that somewhere. Oh gosh! That’s my phone.” I said as I rushed through the class and the others roared with laughter.
It wasn’t difficult searching the cell as thankfully, I left it on the general mode unlike every day. I had put it in the tiny pocket attached to the side of my slang bag. As I took it out and looked at the screen, my senses stopped working suddenly. It was written ‘IronMan’ with a picture of the metal frame staring at me with affinity.

I stroked my eyes hard and peeped in again. I felt as though I was dreaming. No I wasn’t, the device was still ringing. I slid the pointer to right and held it over to my ear. Nothing came from the other side for the first five seconds. I checked the screen, the call was still on. “H…h…hello?” I said. “Hello.” It was him. Oh my god! He has actually called me; my head was clustered with thoughts. My lips went numb. “Hello?” he said again. I repeated after him, clearly this time, less stammering. “Is this TG speaking on the other side?” He knows my name?  I am so going to faint after this. “Yea” I said trying to hide the nervousness off my voice. “This is Fahri Abdullah. You are the blogger called StyZie right?” He said with a mixed potion of professionalism and depth in his voice. Goodness! He even knows about my blog? I’m definitely in an alien world. “Yeah” I said with a tone of curiosity. “You have been selected by the committee to be a part of the editing team for the Annual College Magazine.” I came back into the reality, “What? Magazine?” “Yes. You write all of those posts right?” He inquired. “Yeah… I mean no, not all. Some of them are written by my friend Mesha. I edit it all at the end.” “Okay. There’s a meeting at the auditorium in ten minutes. Be there if you’re interested. You can bring in your friend as well.” “Oh, Okay. I’ll be there.”
He ends the call but the phone is still stuck to my ear. I talked to Fahri. Fahri-The guy of my dreams! He was my latest crush and the fact that he had my number and we had a two-minute conversation was difficult to digest. Simran had already entered the class. “What happened? Why do you look so stunned?” She questioned. My mouth was open and my facial expression had a hint of excitement and anxiety. “Guess who just called? Make the wackiest guess.” I said. “Don’t tell me! Are you serious??” She knew it already. Anyone would know that by the way I was having my hands up in the air and eyes popping out. I gave her a continuous nod with those flashed eyes and wide mouth. “No! He called? Why? What did he say” She flooded the room with questions. “They selected me for the editing team along with Mesha. I need to be at the auditorium in ten minutes. I got to go…” I ran half completing the sentence, searching for Mesha.
I went up to the auditorium and found the door to be half open. I could no longer hold the feverishness. My palms began sweating much more than normal. Mesha opened the door as I was so nervous that I couldn’t even move an inch. It was completely empty. Forget about the sight of a human being; that dusty space wouldn’t even have the attention of the birds. I was bewildered from what I saw. Mesha turned towards me. She had a ‘is this a prank?’ look on her chubby face. I gave her an ‘I am innocent’ look in return. I don’t know how much did she believe. All she did was drag me back to the class.
I unzipped my bag and took my phone. Unlocking it, I checked the call log. I had goose bumps when I saw no call recorded. How was this possible? My brain was completely out of the situation. How can he not call me and talk that long? I called up a mutual friend in hope of having all this sorted. All he did was complicate it further. According to him, Fahri wasn’t even in the college.
I sat on the benches in the lawn. There were students enjoying the recess in their own unique way. I closed my eyes trying to make sense out of everything. I looked at the sky and the similar colored arched roof. There was a thin line separating it from the sky making it difficult to tell if it was the dome or the sky. I unlocked my phone again. There wasn’t a single clue which could solve the case. A ringtone which everyone heard, his name on the phone’s screen, the voice which made way through my ear, the empty auditorium along with my friend’s unusual confirmation. All of this made me feel like a psycho who imagined her dreams to be true. How could I talk to him on the phone without the call? How?  

#StyZie

No comments:

Post a Comment