Saturday 21 January 2017

Stereotypes and Us.

Bell rang and the class was done. I arranged the books, took my bag and left the class only after all the students had moved out. Teaching wasn’t my passion, but it made me remember the old days I had with him. I never wanted to end studying. I didn’t want those moments to ever pass away. Those moments cannot be to the least compared to anything that later came through my life.
Opening my lunch box, I saw one of my student, Amish. He seemed sad, so, I approached him.
Me: Hello.
Amish: Hello ma’am.
Me: Had food?
Amish: Not in the mood.
Me: Is everything alright?
He looked at me and said, ‘Can I ask you few questions?’ I took a seat and asked him to continue. ‘Ma’am, why can’t a boy marry a girl elder than him, while she can marry a boy elder than her?’ He looked at me for an answer. After giving it a thought, ‘A girl ages faster than a boy. So, it is done that way.’
Amish: But it is nowhere said that a boy must marry a girl younger than him.
Me: Hmmm...
Amish: Then why don’t people understand? Why doesn’t the society understand? When a girl says no, why can’t they understand? Instead use the word ‘characterless’ for her? Is it forbidden to fall in love?
Me: May be the next generation will understand these situations.
Amish: So, you mean till then our generation must compromise or suffer?
I was speechless as to how could I tell him what might be the possibilities that can happen next. I saw him walking out outraged. I sat there silently.

At the end of the day, I called my husband to pick me up. As he answered the call, I heard Arzan blabbing and I guessed that he might be going out with his second wife; whom he married after watching me grow old quickly as I was elder than him.
Him: Yeah Meshal, Najma wanted to go to the mall for shopping, so I am taking her out. Hire a taxi to come home, don’t come in bus. Okay, I will call you later, I am driving, bye.
And he hung up. I didn’t want to distract my mind because I had to catch a bus and then prepare food for dinner.
On reaching home, Samiha opened the door.
Samiha: Where is your husband?
Me: He is your dad, Samiha.
Samiha: Who doesn’t respect my mother. He went for shopping again, right? She distracts him and he gets distracted, while you sit waiting for him.
Me: It’s useless to argue with you.
I went to the kitchen to prepare food for dinner but saw that Samiha has already chopped vegetables for me. How beautiful it is to see your daughter doing the household work but also sad to see that she will have to leave the house soon.

It was 10 at night when they all arrived with big bags. I hope he remembered our daughter too while buying things. But may be his mind was too busy collecting things. I set the table and called everyone to have food including Samiha who was in no mood to eat with them. I stayed back as usual to have it at last.
Him: Najma, did you prepare this curry?
Before Najma could boast, Samiha interrupted.
Samiha: If only aunt could get time from her contouring, she would have entered the kitchen.
Him: She is your mother.
Samiha: Yeah, the one who prepared the food.
I indicated her to sit quiet but she lacked controlling her anger. Obviously, a daughter cannot see her mother in pain.
Samiha: By the way, aunt will cook for you soon, as I got a job and they are providing me an apartment too. I will be shifting there with my mother.
Him: I better fix you with your cousin sooner.
Samiha: Yeah, who too will not be able to control his heart and marry another woman? No Thank you, I am fine by myself.
And finally, the war ended. How many times will I have to tell her to respect him or sit quiet if she can’t talk something sweet, but she never listens to me and all I could see is, him going more far from me.

At midnight, when I was done with all the chores, I started to prepare for tomorrow’s class. Hearing voices outside; I opened the door and went out to see. A new family had moved in. I went to offer some help introducing myself that I lived in the floor above them. They seemed nice, full of fun. While working, the lady talked to me about her family and asked about mine.
Lady: How many kids you have?
Me: One; girl.
Lady: I saw a boy coming out early this morning.
Me: He is my husband’s second wife’s son.
Lady: Oh.
I gave a slight smile responding to hers.
Lady: Why did he marry again? It’s okay if you don’t want to answer.
I simply lied to her, telling that he needed a boy. She seemed satisfied with the answer.
Lady: Arrange marriage?
Me: No
Lady: Ours too is not arranged, I used to reject all the proposals, break pots and all. Finally, when there were no proposals coming for me my parents let me marry him. My family was against us because we were breaking the community rules.
She laughed saying that.
Me: What rules?
Lady: I am elder to him by 5 years, so everyone was like filling my mind.
Hearing that calmed my heart. Not all marriages end this way. Going to our apartment I saw Samiha. She might have overheard everything.
Samiha: Why didn’t you say that you became old fashioned for your husband?
None of her taunt mattered that time.
Samiha: Why are you smiling?
Me: One of my student was upset today, having the same situation, rising the same question which I raised once. He was asking “Why can’t a boy marry a girl elder than him?”
Samiha: You would have narrated your beautiful story.
Me: I would but I think it is not applicable for everyone. Some people do live happily.


-me$hal-

No comments:

Post a Comment