Friday 18 December 2015

Best Friend?



I stood in front of my mirror, dressing up my hair which was not combed from almost three days. As I did so, I heard my cell phone beep. I stood for a while thinking if I should check my cell or tie my hair first. I started admiring it and thought of keeping it open. I moved to my bed, checking my cell phone, which said "siya". There is no person except this who calls me by a different name instead of mine. And obviously how could he use another word when I myself always rhymed "cya" to "siya". I replied back.
Me: Han ji...
Tanay: Ride? At noon?
Me: Hooo date?
I felt no shyness whenever I talked something, which I shouldn't, because he was the person who didn't care.
Tanay: Just a ride...
I didn't want to make it a long conversation, which only needed a yes or no. After thinking for a while, I accepted it, as he was my best friend.
Later that afternoon, after I had my lunch, I got dressed up with my usual jeans and a full-sleeved tee accompanied with a leather jacket. I went downstairs and waited for about 10 minutes for the busiest person in the whole world. He then arrived in a luxurious car, making me drop my jaw. I didn't want him to come out and open the door for me. Thinking it will waste time, I asked him to push the door from inside and I got in.
Me: Kiski car rent par laye ho?
Tanay: Dost ki padi hui ti garage me, socha accha impression padega to laya.
Me: Me petrol nai dalne wali.
Tanay: It's okay, meri cousin ka petrol pump hai.
I burst out at once since I couldn't control my laugh anymore. This is what best friends do, I guess, rant each other. I looked at him, while he kept his eyes restricted to the road.
Tanay: Aise na dekh, pyaar ho jayega tujhe mujhse.
This was his everyday flirtatious dialogue, which made me laugh every single time. He drove to places in the city; some, familiar ones and some, I had never been to, even though I stayed in the same city. 
Tanay: Shall we go on a date?
Me: Don’t over use your crooked mind and drive me back to my home now.
Tanay: You girls are so doubtful.
Me: Girls? Hmmm
Tanay: le, start ho gaye doubt inke.
I looked at him with anger; maybe I was just pretending to be angry.
Tanay: Aise na dekh, pyaar ho jayega tujhe mujhse.
I smiled again.
Me: Kyu? Tujhe hua kya?
He just smiled and for a moment he was quite. I felt something unusual about that expression of his, so I sat straight, facing him.
Me: Bolna
Tanay: Shayad.
Me: Kya shayad? Han ya na me bol.
He paused again for a moment, as I kept my eyes on him with my heart dropping each pulse slowly.
Tanay: Han.
Me: Jhut.
Tanay: Yaar tujhe nahi hua to me kya karu?
I was stressed, nervous and whenever I feel this kind, I just laugh off, no matter what the other person feels. I couldn’t control that condition. I started singing in order to wave off the weird situation.
Me: Dost dost na raha...
Tanay: Kuch bhi haan. Haha.
We then got down near a dhaba.
Tanay: Gol gappe khayegi?
Me: Anushka sharma nai hu me.
Tanay: O hi tho.
Me: Kya mathlab?
Tanay: Usne shayad race me, 10 gol gappe khaye ho, tu to 20 khane wali hai, moti…
Me: Aur tu konsa 6 pack ya 8 pack wala Shah Rukh Khan hai? Mr. Family pack.
I remembered him keeping his old display pictures, when he had all the biceps and triceps and packs; which lasted no more than weeks because the gym needed lot of sweat to dry off. 
As it happened in that movie, we too had a challenge. I couldn't eat more than 15 as my mouth started to shrink and burn. In a way, I wanted him to win. But before I could say "I give up" he said those words. Though I didn’t want that, I still stood on the table cherishing my victory. He took me to the beach later. The coolest of the air blew, making the weather more beautiful. I saw him as he walked away to buy some juice. I made up my mind to ask him a question whose answer had become very important to me. A while later when he returned I calmed myself down and faced him.
Me: Tanay.
Tanay: Yeah.
Me: Mera friend rahega na tu?
Tanay: Zindagi bhar, uski tension na le.
My heart melted as he said those words. I didn't want to lose him as he was the only one with whom I could talk whatever I wanted to. It was late in the evening. He dropped me near my home and when I looked at him as he moved away…
Tanay: Aise na dekh, pyaar ho jayega tujhe mujhse...
I smiled as I saw him.
Me: Hogaya tho?
Tanay: Shadi kar Lunga.
I laughed, he laughed. In my room as I lay on my bed staring at his picture, a messaged beeped which said "siya"
Me: Han ji...
Tanay: Aise na dekh, pyaar ho jayega tujhe mujhse...
Me: Tanaaayyyyyyy
Tanay: Haha chal cya...
Me: Siya...
J
I texted him as my best friend, but he texted thinking of me of something more than just that. My concept of a boy and a girl can be friends went wrong. As in the end, one will definitely fall for the other. Some people say, but some, wait for the other to realize it.

Write Up: -me$hal-
Editing: StyZie



2 comments:

  1. Oh!!!absolutely ri8....shi kaha end my esa Hi kuch hta h

    ReplyDelete